Meet Pamela Gallant; she is the amazing wife of Canadian NHL coach Gerard Gallant, current head coach for the New York Rangers. He also worked with the New York Islanders, Columbus Blue Jackets, Montreal Canadians, Florida Panthers and the Las Vegas Golden Knights prior to being introduced as the new coach for the New York Rangers on June 16, 2021.
Why do they call Gallant Turk?
Gerard Gallant has had his nickname Turk since he was a four-year-old boy, Back in 2017, he explained the reason why do they call him Turk is that although he doesn’t exactly know how he got it, his uncle used to raise turkeys and he was constantly following the turkeys all over, one of his siblings called him turkey and then it was shortened to Turk.
“I’ve been called ‘Turk’ since I was four years old,” Gallant, a Summerside, Prince Edward Island native, said. “I don’t remember how I got the nickname. The only thing I can remember is my uncle used to raise turkeys, and he had them in our basement. He raised them.
“I used to go down there as a little kid, I guess, and chase them around there. One of my brothers called me ‘turkey’ and it got shortened to ‘Turk.'”
What nationality is Gerard Gallant?
Gerard Gallant aka Turk is Canadian; he was born in the second-largest city in Prince Edward Island, Summerside. Prince Edward Island has the reputation of being Canada’s potato capital, because of that Gallant also received the nickname Spud.
Who was the first coach for the Vegas Golden Knights?
Gerard Gallant was the first head coach for the Las Vegas Golden Knights since the team owned by Black Knight Sports & Entertainment founded on March 1, 2017; they announced they named Gerard Gallant their first coach on April 13, 2017.Coach Gallant was replaced by Peter DeBoer after the Golden Knights fired him on January 15, 2020, after a four-game losing streak; DeBoer left the team on May 16, 2022, with a 98–50–12 coaching record.
Who did Gerard Gallant play for?
Gerard Gallant NHL Stats
Gerard Gallant NHL Coaching Career
- After his retirement from playing with the Detroit Vipers in 1995, Gerard Gallant started his coaching carer in his hometown with the Summerside Capitals of the Martine Junior Hockey League; the Capitals advance to the 1997 Royal Bank Cup, winning their first title against the South Surrey Eagles 4-3.
- In 1998, served as an assistant head coach for the IHL team the Fort Wayne Komets and assumed the same role for the Louisville Panthers of the AHL in 1999-2000.
- From 2001 to 2004, was an assistant coach for the Columbus Blue Jackets under Doug MacLean and Dave King.
- He was inducted into the Prince Edward Island Sports Hall of Fame in 2001
- On January 1, 2004, the Columbus Blue Jackets announced they named Gallant their new head coach.
- The Blue Jackets fired him on November 13, 2006.
- He served as head coach for Team Canada in 2007.
- Ted Nolan, who played with Gallant on the Adirondack Red Wings, was probably the reason the New York Islanders appointed him their assistant coach for the 2007-08 season.
- Gallant was named head coach for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL on April 24, 2009.
- The Saint Sea Dogs won the 2011 Memorial Cup against the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors 3–1.
- Awarded with the Ron Lapointe Trophy for QMJHL Coach of the Year in 2011.
- He was named assistant coach for the Montreal Canadiens under Michel Therrien on June 15, 2012.
- On June 21, 2014, Gerard Gallant was named head coach for the Florida Panthers.
- The Florida Panthers fired him on November 27, 2016, with a coaching record. of 11-10-1.
- Served as head coach for the NHL All-Star Game in 2016 and then again in 2018.
- The Las Vegas Golden Knights named him their first head coach on April 13, 2017.
- He led the Golden Knights to their first Stanley Cup appearance in 2018, sadly they lost to the Washington Capitals in five games.
- He was awarded the Jack Adams Award and Scotty Bowman Award (Best Coach) in 2018.
- Replaced David Quinn as head coach for the New York Rangers on June 16, 2021.
Gerard Gallant Wife
His pretty wife is Pamela Lee Gallant born on July 9, 1963; Pam and Gerard have been married since July 26, 1986; they have since welcomed two children; Jason and daughter Melissa.
Melissa Gallant now Melissa Boyce is married to former Canadian hockey player Darryl Boyce, since July 4, 2015, and the father of her three children, two boys and a little girl named Rosie Lynn. The son Jason a hockey coach for youth teams also played hockey for the Summerside Western Capitals.